Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas


Source: Stephanie Cooks

Sooooo did a mention I was picky? Well every time I go to a Mexican restaurant I get the same old thing, cheese enchiladas, and if I am really hungry a side of beans. Well I saw these on another food blog and thought they sounded delicious! Well this recipe called for the green enchilada sauce, well of course that is different and I didn't want to risk cooking something I wouldn't like so instead of the green sauce I used the red sauce, thinking hey no big deal!

So when I made these for dinner one night and we were just sitting down at the dinner table, my husband gets the first bite, then I take a bite..... I loved it! Casey on the other hand looked as though he was gonna barf. Ummm I was confused because I believed with the red sauce it was good balance of spicy and sweet. Obviously not the right combination to him, although very funny in the end. I asked him what he didn't enjoy about the dinner and he said it was like the sauce doesn't match the dish.... umm... is he psychic? How did he know I switch things up a little?

Well as we finished dinner we both got up to take the dogs outside when I finally said.... " I have a confession to make." I told him what the original recipe stated and of course he then knew it made sense and that he would have enojoyed that instead of my altered recipe. Good to know! Also good to know I have a live in tester for all my recipes!!!

Ingredients:6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup light cream 


Directions:1.) Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour. 
2.)Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. 
3.)Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. 
4.)Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment